Wednesday, July 12, 2017

7-11-17



The Cherokee health care system is ran by the Cherokee instead of the state or government like the health care systems back home are. The healthcare team at Cherokee Indian Hospital consists of a provider, LPN, RN, and a CMA. When a patient comes into the emergency room the patient checks in at the desk unless brought in by EMS, then they wait and are brought back by the RN to a room vital signs are checked and the RN addresses them to find out the problem. The provider then goes into the room and assesses the patient then comes out talks to RN and puts in orders for RN to complete. The RN then completes the order and in most cases patients are then discharged. While in the ER I talked with the RN’s they stated that most of the time there is no wait time to be seen in the ER but when there is patients are seen by acuity. 
 
So far in my time at Cherokee Indian Hospital I feel things are fairly similar to the care that is provided back home. Some differences I have noticed is they don’t react or aren’t surprised when people don’t show for their appointments. I have asked a few nurses their view on why people don’t show for their appointments and their responses were along the lines of because there is no repercussions to them not showing for example they don’t pay a fee. I think it is great that Cherokee members receive their healthcare for free but when it is abused I feel there should be some form of repercussions. Within the Cherokee culture they have an alternative clinic within the hospital that offers massage, aromatherapy, and acupuncture to the enrolled members. 

"Tell me and I forget Teach me and I may remember Involve me and I learn" -- Benjamin Franklin 

1 comment:

  1. Brittany, I too have noticed how those in healthcare have no reaction to no-show appointments. I had wondered if it is almost expected that some will miss an appointment. I think this is a main reason why it is important that the hospital has so many services. Patients can get everything that need in one place. Regarding scheduling appointments, one provider had explained to me that when a person calls to make an appointment, it is almost easier to get them in right then, rather than wait several days.

    ReplyDelete