Monday, July 10, 2017

Blog post 7-10-17


Oh boy the afternoon we had was amazing... Visiting the village was an outstanding experience and seeing the dances and homes that the Cherokee lived in the past. Then we had our first free time journey floating down the river.  Though the water was cold it was a blast. However, falling out of the tube and hitting your knee is no fun but… YOLO!

After spending the day out an about within the Cherokee community my first impression of the environment is interesting. There are a lot of homes that I would consider to be on the lower income. There are also a lot of shops and outdoor space. But from the hospital perspective it was amazing with everything that is offered. One of the most interesting thing I learned about their culture’s history today was at the museum. I learned that the Cherokee were forced out of their homes and were only allowed to take what they could carry. I feel that the Cherokee values and beliefs are somewhat similar but also have clear differences. I feel it is similar in the aspect that family is important to me as it is to them. The big difference is my view on receiving and complying with medical treatment. I am very big on receiving and encourage people to seek and comply with treatment. It is also different in the way many Cherokees act socially. This area has a huge problem with drug and alcohol abuse. In social environments I carry myself  with trust, honesty, openness as well as mindful of people and my surroundings. With the children in the community they receive heritage through the passing down of roles and skills including basket weaving. The children are also heavily influenced by the elders within the community. The Cherokee community I feel is very similar but also different in the aspect that people know people and openly communicate including saying “Hi”, “good morning”, or “have a great day”. I can’t wait to see what tomorrows clinical day brings. 

I’m not telling you it’s going to be easy- I’m telling you it’s going to be worth it” – Art Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment