Saturday, July 15, 2017

Last Day of Observation 7-14



The three days that we spent in Cherokee were wonderful and opened my eyes to a new culture and almost a new world because of the lifestyle and things seen while visiting. There are a few critical issues that the people of Cherokee face daily from poor management of diabetes and hypertension to the dangerous world of drug and alcohol addiction, use and withdrawal. I feel that these medical issues are related to deficient knowledge and health maintenance.  I feel deficient knowledge because Cherokee children are not encouraged or taught the good that can come from working hard, trying and taking care of themselves. Many Cherokee children have grown up watching the parents, families and elders not taking care themselves, using drugs or alcohol and spending money on unnecessary or harmful things more often then they see them succeed and work hard to make their lives better. Typically, in situations like this it is the Nurses role to educated and show them the way to be health. However, I feel from what I saw this week the education about medication, side effects, long term effects and goals is lacking. Several times this week I have heard and saw patients that decided to take themselves off their medication and no one educated them on the risks or side effects of not taking the medication. Overall my experience at Cherokee was wonderful and cannot fully be displayed in my blog postings. Everyone we met, interacted with, listened to opened my eyes to the beautiful Cherokee culture and taught me lots about patience, understanding and realizing that you never know someone story. 
"You know my name,not my story.You've heard what I've done, not what I've been through. Try walking in my shoes before you judge me"--Unknown 

1 comment:

  1. Brittany,
    So glad you were part of this trip! The quote is lovely and certainly a lesson we learned while in this part of the country. Everyone has a story....

    ReplyDelete